[hpsdr] metis discovery question

wully wully at bluewin.ch
Wed Apr 16 09:56:16 PDT 2014

Hi Phil et al

I have ported my HPSDR-Software to Linux. When I want to discover Metis
or Angelia or Hermes, I have to send a broadcast packet over IP.
Unfortunately, under Linux, broadcast is a priviledged operation.

Since my Metis has a fixed IP-Adress in my local network, I can
directely adress the discovery packet

<ef> <fe> <02> <60 bytes 00>

to the address of Metis. When trying this, I don't get an answer from
Metis. (Ping works).
Only a SO_BROADCAST packet will start the communication with Metis.

It seems to me, that this would not really be necessary.

Why does Metis not respond, when it is directely addressed?

73, hb9epu