[hpsdr] openHPSDR at the forefront of SDR development

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Wed Aug 20 00:31:26 PDT 2014

All,

I'm delighted to be able to report that we have been able to develop, to
proof-of-concept stage, a new SDR architecture.

Current SDRs use the software equivalent of zero IF techniques, i.e. DDC,
in order to provide (multiple) receivers.   Whist this is quite effective,
much of the initial DSP work is done using FPGAs, or a combination of FPGA
plus dedicated DSP chips and microprocessors, rather than totally within
the PC.

As more complex features are added, the size and complexity of the FPGA
and DSP code increases. The skills to write, debug and maintain this code
is only available via a small percentage of software engineers, or
enthusiasts, in comparison to those able to write code for PC based
hardware.

In order to open the SDR world to those with PC software skills we are in
the process of developing a new SDR architecture.

This architecture digitises the entire 0 to 30MHz radio spectrum in real
time and passes the 'raw' samples directly to an associated computer.

This computer then calculates the FFT of the raw samples and subsequently
processes the result as the user requires.

This is not a totally new concept since both the cuSDR and KISS Konsole
software uses raw ADC samples to provide the wideband bandscope displays.

However, for this requirement the FFT only needs to be done at the
bandscope update rate of a few 10's of times per second, which hardly
taxes a modern PC at all.

The new concept requires that we take the FFT of all samples in real-time.

This has been possible in the past - if you had access to a Cray super
computer!

Well now we do have access to very low cost computers that provide the
processing power we need.  One example of this is the new Nvidia Jetson
TK1 single board computer.  At a cost of $192 this board contains four ARM
CPUs plus 192 CUDA processors.

More details of this remarkable board can be found here:

https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1

Since the CUDA cores can process data in parallel, we can use these to
perform the high speed FFT.

John, G0ORX, has written preliminary code for the Jetson board and has
confirmed that it has the necessary performance we require.

The test environment consisted of a Jetson board connected via Gigabit
Ethernet to an Angelia board.  A special version of FPGA code was written
for the Angelia board that sent raw 16 bit ADC samples at 61.44Msps to the
Jetson board.

We used raw Ethernet frames over the Gigabit link, in order to maximise
the link bandwidth, since we require a sustained 983Mbps transfer rate.

Whilst it's still early days, and there is much more to be done, this
critical early success does indicate that this new architecture has a very
promising future.

The Jetson board is taking the role of an 'SDR Server' which I have
written about in the past.

In which case what benefits does this new architecture provide to openHPSR?

1. The FPGA code is greatly simplified, is easier to write and maintain,
and hence uses a small percentage of the space available with a subsequent
reduction in power consumption.

2. The protocol between the SDR hardware and the SDR Server is greatly
simplified since the SDR hardware only has to connect to a single,
dedicated,  SBC or PC.  Hence ARP, DHCP, ping, UDP/IP etc are no longer
required.  The SDR Server simply needs to know the MAC address of the SDR
hardware in order to communicate.  It should be possible for a single SDR
hardware board to feed multiple SDR Servers, but that's something for the
future.

3. Virtually all the signal processing is undertaken on the associated
single board computer (SBC) or (suitable) PC.  If sufficient processing
power is available then the GUI can run on the same SBC. Alternatively the
user's normal PC (which does not require to be high performance since it
does not do any significant digital signal processing) or a Tablet, cell
phone etc could be used.

4. Many more users have the necessary skills and experience to support,
maintain and further develop the code. New features are added to the SDR
Server code rather than the FPGA code.

5. Extends the useful life of openHPSDR Hermes boards where otherwise FPGA
and/or power supply restrictions may have limited adding new features.

6. Future hardware upgrades will be to the associated SBC where faster and
lower cost options can be expected.  Nvidia have already indicated that a
64 bit board will be available in the near future.

7. Remote access to an SDR via the Internet will enable multiple users to
share the SDR with each selecting their desired frequency, bandwidth and
mode.

There are other potential benefits relating to simpler and lower cost SDR
hardware, but that is for the future.

For want of a name we are calling this new architecture 'Direct Fourier
Conversion' (DFC).

For those that are already experimenting with the Jetson board we do
intend to release the DFC FPGA code for both Angelia and Hermes boards and
I will advise when, and where, this is available.

John's code is presently not available, so please don't pester him, but as
soon as it reaches Beta stage it will be released.

Please join me in congratulating John on this exciting development.

73 Phil....VK6PH