[hpsdr] ANAN-100D 10m power output

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sat Feb 8 15:02:56 PST 2014

All,

The ANAN-100D arrived safely this afternoon.  Short report:  ANAN-100D seems to perform perfectly here.

Out of the box here’s what I did:

1)  Powered up the unit and saw that it came with Angelia_v2.6 loaded.

2) Applied a -70 dBm signal at 14.01 MHz to ANT1 and did a level calibrate using PowerSDR mRX PS v3.2.8.0.  Calibrate appeared perfectly normal.  Nice clean signal.

3) Next I powered down the ANAN-100D, removed the six front panel screws, and plugged a blaster cable onto P2 and loaded the Angelia_v2.8 output_file.pof into the EEPROM.

4) Removed the blaster cable and power cycled the ANAN-100D; Angelia_v2.8 came up normally using PowerSDR, as expected.

5) Connected a my external antenna tuner to ANT1 with a dummy load on the output of my tuner, used a low power setting on 20m to tune my tuner, and could easily obtain 100W output by increasing the Drive slider on the main display of PowerSDR in TUN.

4) Switched bands to 10m and did a retune of my antenna tuner for 10m at low output power, then used the slider to go to max power output, which turned out to be 88W with the slider at 100% on 10m initially.  By reducing the Setup > PA Settings menu value for the 10m band to 41.5 I now obtain 100W output on 10m at 100% on the main display Drive slider position.

I noticed that in my shack with my power supply and cabling to the ANAN-100D the input voltage at the DC power connector on ANAN-100D drops from 13.7V DC to 12.9V DC when the ANAN-100D is at 100W output on 10m.

Bottom line is that I do not see a low power output on 10m when using Angelia_v2.8 in this ANAN-100D.  The LPF on the PA board is clearly operating properly on this unit when operating on 10m or I would not be able to see this result.

I’m at a loss to explain the low power output results that some are reporting for Angelia_v2.8 on 10m.  For those that are, please verify that the PA Gain setting for 10m is 41.5 or lower, that the key down voltage at the input DC power connector is at least 12.9 V DC, and that the main display Drive setting is at 100% when transmitting, as it was for me during my test.  Also, be mindful of the load impedance you are presenting to the unit, a mis-matched output will certainly affect the ability of the PA to make full power.

 If the above issues are in hand for you and you still are not able to achieve 100W out on 10m I’ll certainly be willing to think more about the issue but, here at least, there is no problem on 10m with power output using ANAN-100D with Angelia_v2.8.  I don’t detect any problem with the firmware or the ANAN-100D here; but of course I’ve only had it operating for less than an hour so I certainly haven’t checked everything!  The truth is that I doubt I could check everything in a week, in fact, with all the myriad of controls that PowerSDR allows us.

The ANAN-100D is a wonderful radio as far as I can see, having it for only an hour to test with now, hihi.

73,  Joe K5SO