[hpsdr] Hermes

Tony Hagen prosdr at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 10:57:19 PST 2014

Ok, much clear now than few hours back

Thank you everyone who clarified my doubts

73s
Tony
---------------------

Hi,

Is the Hermes Board standalone is capable to receive without the Alex
Interfaced

73s
Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes, certainly.

But of course you won?t have any HPF or LPF filtering for the input in that
case.

If you?re using the stand alone Hermes as an IF for a converter that has
some image filtering ahead of it it works fine like that.  If, on the other
hand, you connect directly to an antenna then you are susceptible to ADC
overloading from out-of-band strong signals that may be present at your
location anywhere in the 0-60 MHz range, regardless of where you have the
Hermes tuned, that?s all.  It?ll work fine but keep in mind that your Hermes
ADC is converting signals for everything in the 0-60 MHz range at your
location and strong out-of-band signals will affect you much more so than if
you had filtering ahead of the Hermes.

73, Joe K5SO

Hello Joe,

That means its recommendable to use a HPF or in other words Alex

Thanks

73s
Tony

From: "Warren C. Pratt" <warren at wpratt.com>

Hi Tony,

As Joe has suggested, the most robust configuration includes filters.
Some have found them absolutely necessary to avoid overload from strong
stations nearby.  In my case, I live in a rural area on a mountain top.
I have several transmitting towers in sight; however, they are about 15
miles away.  In several years of operating, I've only seen ADC overload
from on-air signals one time --- that was from a neighbor who is a ham.
So, the message is that "your mileage may vary."

If you're thinking of purchasing a Hermes and trying to decide about
filters, you should consider your situation relative to strong nearby
stations.  Alternatively, if you think you most likely won't need
filters, you could get the Hermes first and then decide.

Unless you are in an "ADC overload" situation, the filters won't do
anything to make the reception better --- I believe you'll find Hermes
quite enjoyable, by the way.

73,
Warren  NR0V