[hpsdr] cuSDR mods

John Laur johnlaur at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 13:12:12 PST 2014

On Linux, each CPU core "gets" 100% in top's utilization metric. So an 8
core machine can have 800% utilization.

This metric by itself is pretty useless though. If there is a thread or
process that is bound by the performance of 1 core which is what it sounds
like is happening here then you might have a terrible experience even
though your CPU is underutilized. To begin to tell anything meaningful
would require top's output showing all CPUs expanded (Press "1" in top),
all active processes including threads (Press capital "H" in top) and idle
processes hidden (Press "i" in top).

In this situation the performance could be limited by something in the x
server compositing or even the audio server. Or just a CPU with low
per-core performance or poorly performing network. It might not have
anything to do with CuSDR.

73, John KF5SAB