[hpsdr] PureSignal and ANAN-10

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Jul 20 13:43:45 PDT 2014

I've been playing with PureSignal and it definitely works!  Using an
external spectrum analyzer, I'm seeing a 10dB 3rd order IMD improvement
at 100W PEP.  But I'm not sure if I've optimized the system.

I'm using a TAPR Hermes mounted in an ANAN-10 enclosure/amplifier.  The
10W output drives a TenTec 418 amplifier to 100W.  However, I'm seeing a
crosstalk issue similar to that reported for the ANAN-100.  I'm
wondering whether anyone else has experimented with the ANAN-10
configuration and seen this.

I measured the signal present at the "RX IN" SMA connector with the
ANT-1 BNC connected to a dummy load.  The signal ranges from -37dBm at
160M to -8dBm at 6M.  (As usual, I've done a bunch of measurements and
screenshots, and written up what I've learned so far at
http://www.febo.com/pages/hpsdr/puresignal.)

This makes sense when you consider that the amp/lpf board is mounted
parallel to Hermes and only an inch or so away.  But it means that the
sampled signal needs to be pretty strong to overcome the crosstalk.

I have three questions today:

1.  Has anyone else done similar work with their ANAN-10?

2.  How much stronger (in dB) should the sampled signal be than the
crosstalk, in order to make sure that PureSignal is correcting the whole
RF chain rather than just the ANAN-10 amplifier?

3.  Given the ANAN-10 antenna configuration, it appears that feeding the
sample into the SMA "RX IN" connector is the only way.  Am I missing
something?

73,
John