[hpsdr] Static IP vs DHCP

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Sun Jun 22 14:04:40 PDT 2014

All:

Finally beginning to tentatively get in to bringing one of my HPSDR
units to life and reading the startup in the various manuals.

For my remotely controlled Icom 706, I assigned static IP addresses to
the shack unit and the remoted radio, as well as the WebSwitch which
controls power and antenna selection.  I did this, because I've been
burned in the past with power failures, or whatever, resulting in all
different IP addresses, and did not want to deal with this on hardware I
really care about accessing.

For the same reasons, I'm considering assigning static IP addresses to
each of the Metis boards in the 2 units I have.

Question:  Is there any down side to static IP addresses?

If it matters, I don't see any time soon trying to access any of this
stuff from outside of my router.  Latency and bandwidth limits on my
satellite internet as well as the obvious security concerns tell me I
don't really want to be in that business.

Thanks & 73,
Jim
wb4gcs at amsat.org

---