[hpsdr] VNA brigde

Dick Faust k9ivb at cox.net
Tue Mar 11 15:02:32 PDT 2014

Tony

The VNA bridge is essentially a Wheatstone Bridge.  Instead of using a
"battery" and a DC micro ammeter it uses an AC source and an AC "meter".
For RF applications the AC source is often called a transmitter [signal
source] and the ac meter is a receiver [detector].
For broadband RF applications there are attenuators on the signal and
detector ports to maintain an impedance [50 ohms] for the transmission
lines that connect to the signal source and detector.

The VNA bridge actually has 4 ports.  Signal IN, Detector Out, Reference
Impedance, and Unknown Impedance.

Thus the [low power] transmitter is connected to the "IN" port, The
receiver [very sensitive to high power] is connected to the "OUT" port,
and the "Unknown Impedance" is the circuit under test.  Most often the
"Reference Impedance" is a 50 ohm 1% [or better] resistor that is an
interigal component of the VNA Bridge.  Some bridges have provisions to
use an external reference circuit or component.

Use only Hermes and the VNA software with a bridge.  DO NOT use your
Linear Amplifier !

The ARRL Handbook has more information on Wheatstone Bridges and RF
Measurements.

Dick K9IVB