[hpsdr] Crest Factor Reduction in conjunction with PureSignal

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Thu Mar 6 18:28:13 PST 2014

Hi Steve,

"Anyone", in this case, would most likely be me.  No, I have not
considered it.  I'm not very familiar with digital modes; however,
perhaps this would be useful as a low-distortion compression technique
for some digital modes.

As far as what we currently have with PureSignal, the algorithm has no
problem with peaks because they are totally constrained by the
look-ahead ALC.  Then, to increase average power (decrease peak to
average ratio) we have the Leveler and a compressor which works like an
RF speech clipper.  All these, including the PureSignal correction, are
applied at baseband.  The leveler and compressor introduce no material
distortion in terms of IMD.

73,
Warren  NR0V