[hpsdr] [apache-labs] Re: OT: new Flex rig

Brian Lloyd brian-wb6rqn at lloyd.com
Fri May 9 10:44:56 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Telemar.it - gcampana
<gcampana at telemar.it>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  is this *YASHRT * too ? :-)
>

>  sorry for adv (a copy&paste from my FB page)* I LOVE* Software Defined
> Radio at all, without frontiers or flags,
>  without exceptions for any technology adopted.

I don't know if it is a YASHRT radio without looking at its architecture.
Does it output multiple variable-rate subbands for separate processing or
does it process internally down to a few narrow-band baseband channels? If
the latter, it is YASHRT. Oh, don't get me wrong, there are lots of really
nice YASHRT radios. If you think about it, DDC can be hamstrung to the
point where it is just a slightly nicer version of The Same Old Thing
(YASHRT).

I am sure you build a lovely radio. And I know that Flex builds lovely
radios. Elecraft, Ten-Tec, Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom all build lovely
radios. That doesn't mean they aren't YASHRT.

Consider this: panadaptor and waterfall displays aside, if the same
operation is possible with Collins separates, then we are dealing with
YASHRT. And there is nothing wrong with YASRHT. If all you want to do is
ragchew on CW or SSB, any of these radios will be adequate. And if you want
to do contesting you need a bit more receiver dynamic range but the
*fuctional* *architecture* of the radio remains the same. YASHRT.

DDC/DUC makes possible things that are not possible with YASHRT. CWskimmer
is the first such application. WSPR was the next. The differentiating
application from my viewpoint is decoding MANY channels at the same time.
We have the wherewithal right now to, with a single Hermes board, decode
every detectable RTTY, PSK, CW, Olivia, WSPR, THOR, and JT65 signal on all
the open HF bands concurrently. Do THAT with your KWM2 (or Yaesu FTDX9000,
or Flex 6700, or Elecraft K3, or ...)!

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
706 Flightline Drive