[hpsdr] SDR Architectures

Bruce Beford beford at myfairpoint.net
Thu May 15 05:46:57 PDT 2014

Nice write-up Phil. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on a future path of SDR
development. In your text, I read SDR as primarily "software defined
receiver". I would like to see a broader "software defined radio", to
include expansion capabilities in the front end hardware, including TX. In
my mind, this should include not only the ability to add multiple ADCs for
receive, but also multiple DACs for transmit. This would open the
possibility (for example) for both transmit and receive "beam steering"
using software determined phasing of a vertical antenna array for both
transmit and receive. Other applications would also be possible with
multiple independent transmit and receive hardware paths.

It's a fun time to be discussing all this, now that the available hardware
(ADC, DAC, data transfer and processing power) capabilities are all catching
up with the dreams!

Cheers!

Bruce

N1RX