[hpsdr] MOX and Duplex

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sat Nov 22 09:49:32 PST 2014

Hi Bob,

Simply, within firmware there is no “MOX” signal.   Both MOX and Duplex are software-generated signals, activated by the user.  In the PC software program, the MOX signal is used to switch between transmit mode and receive mode, which generates a PTT signal for the firmware; that is, MOX in the PC code (software) simply switches the “radio” (not the “hardware” only, but rather the combination of hardware and software which is the “radio") between Tx mode and Rx mode.  Essentially, MOX in software is used to turn the transmitter on in firmware and to signal other T/R switching logic depending upon other logic inputs.  To appreciate this better perhaps, you should be aware that in firmware all receivers are always running, technically speaking, even if the PC software isn’t using the IQ values being produced by the receivers, such as when the “radio” is in transmit mode and even though switching activated by PTT may have physically removed outside antenna connections to the receivers.

Within software there is a distinction between Duplex and non-duplex mode that is quite different from how the “Duplex” signal is utilized in firmware.  In software, the Duplex mode allows you to “receive”, i.e., to “hear" the Rx1 receiver output while the transmitter is transmitting, as you would expect from the name “Duplex", just as you observe.  In non-duplex mode you don’t hear the receiver output while the transmitter is transmitting; i.e., non-duplex mode is technically simplex mode, in which you either transmit or you receive, not both simultaneously; even though the receivers are actually still running in firmware during this time.

The “Duplex" signal is used in firmware differently from how it is used within the software program.  In firmware, in conjunction with the “last_chan” signal (i.e., the number of receiver IQ channels requested by the PC for the firmware to send), the Duplex signal is used only to specify whether the frequency of Rx1 is made to be identical (non-Duplex mode) to the transmitter frequency or allowed to be different (Duplex mode) from the transmitter frequency when the transmitter is transmitting.  As I mentioned, in firmware all receviers are actually always running regardless of what mode the “radio” is in or whether the “radio” is transmitting or receiving.  In the Verilog source code for the firmware you can see this behavior by searching for “IF_duplex”, which is the “Duplex” signal that is passed from the PC software to the hardware.  From a firmware perspective, it is questionable whether the Duplex signal bit is actually needed in firmware and in truth it might be omitted in the new protocol for the communications between PC/hardware that is currently being developed and only be used within the software program itself.

Hope that helps.

73, Joe K5SO