[hpsdr] [OT] Hermes VNA calibration

rodwall1234 at gmail.com rodwall1234 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 13:26:19 PDT 2014

Some home made calibration standards:

http://www.qsl.net/in3otd/electronics/VNA_calkit/SMA_female.html

http://www.qsl.net/in3otd/electronics/VNA_calkit/SMA_male.html

http://blog.kotarak.net/2010/04/n2pk-vna-sma-calibration-standard.html

Roderick Wall, vk3yc.

From: Alfred Green
Sent: ‎Saturday‎, ‎October‎ ‎11‎, ‎2014 ‎4‎:‎34‎ ‎AM
To: hpsdr at lists.openhpsdr.org

On 10/10/2014 6:49 AM, AA8K73 GMail wrote:

> What is a good 50 ohm termination to use for Hermes VNA calibration?
>
> The open and shorted ones are easy.  When I calibrate with a 50 ohm
> load and then measure other 50 ohm loads, I get variation.
>
> I've tried a Decibel DB4303B, Relm T44100, Bird Termaline, and
> various, small BNC terminators.
>
> Where can I find a 50 ohm precision terminator that will be flat on HF
> to 50 MHz?

How accurate do you need? Finding a good load up to 50MHz is easy.
Using my HP8505 vna and HP8503 test set the worst of my collection of
loads was a 47ohm resistor in a BNC plug, and that gave >30dB return loss.
Most of the SMA and N loads were >38dB RL, with the best being near the
bridge limit of ~45dB, and the BNCs were >35dB. 'Waggling' the BNCs gave
a couple of dB variation, but they were still quite acceptable for such
a low frequency range.

I built a return-loss bridge for when I use my Hermes as a VNA, and it
was simple to get >30dB from 0.5 to 60MHz using one of my HP precision
loads as a reference. If you need better than that a different topology
is probably needed.

Finding a good load up through 10Gigs is more of a challenge!

GL & 73,  Alf  NU8I
Phoenix  AZ  DN33xo
HPSDR Discussion List
To post msg: hpsdr at openhpsdr.org