[hpsdr] FIR filtering and HPSDR

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Tue Sep 9 13:39:12 PDT 2014

Hi Eric,

I thought this approach was creative; so, I read part of the paper.  As
he notes, it's somewhat difficult to implement; however, I'm sure we
could overcome that.  The real problem with using this algorithm with
what we're doing on the Jetson board appears to be the amount of
computation it requires.  If you look at Figure 6, and then project
those lines out to, for example, 1,000,000, you can see that there's a
huge difference in the amount of computation required versus the "large
block" approach.

By the way, I also disagree with his position the
direct-time-domain-convolution FIR and his approach are "zero delay."
The delay of a linear-phase direct-convolution filter is
Sample_rate*(N-1)/2 where N is the number of taps.  His filter approach
will be the same.

Window functions are sometimes used in the generation of the filter
coefficients.  I think he just didn't really discuss that process.

73,
Warren  NR0V