[hpsdr] Updated KISS Konsole for Cross-platform Execution

John Laur johnlaur at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:26:55 PDT 2014

All,

I am happy to report that it is technically possible to run KISS Konsole on
Mac OS!

Again sorry for the delay. Attached is the patch that fixes the networking
error on OS X. The original problem was that the netmask property of the
network interface is not implemented by Mono, so a try/catch was added if
the native property fails. This workaround code did not work on Mac because
the interface address family is not duplicated into the sockaddr_in struct
as it is in Linux. However from the documentation I believe my approach
will work on both platforms.

The patch applies to the svn under branches/K9TRV/KISSKonsoleUnified Before
committing it to SVN would someone please confirm that the code still works
on Linux to retrieve the interface netmask? I do not have a Linux
environment set up for this kind of thing.

A screenshot of KK running under OS X 10.9 Mavericks is here goo.gl/IK3LMc

Performance is OK but MonoMac's implementation of Windows.Forms is both
poor and buggy. Since the implementation is done with Carbon, this limits
the application to 32 bit which reduces the performance of FFTW somewhat on
this platform. One problem is that the waterfall display doe not work at
all. Also, radio discovery only seems to use the primary network interface.
I am not sure if that is the way KK is implemented or not? I only had 20
minutes or so to work on this last night so I just endeavored to see if I
could actually get it to run. Because of the issues with windows forms and
the discovery this is still a ways off from what I would call 'usable' on
this platform, but it's sure a cool toy. If I have more time I may will
probably play with it further.

IMO the first class approach would probably be to abstract the UI a bit
more and build something native for each platform we wanted to support
instead of relying on Windows.Forms emulation. This incidentally could open
up the possibility of KK running on mobile devices if a UI were built in
Ximian.Forms.

73, John KF5SAB