[hpsdr] FFT latency

G3XJP G3XJP at RhodesG3XJP.plus.com
Fri Apr 10 02:54:57 PDT 2015

FFT latency, inherent or not inherent? Who would have imagined such a
simple question would generate such a diversity of replies? Many thanks
for all of them. I conclude the answer is "YES, inherent in the use of
an FFT". And so I will continue to avoid lots of narrow FFT bins because
although they might make the Rx better, they would also make the Tx/Rx
worse for what I want it for.

Which is not CW contesting where the format, sequence and a significant
part of the content is predictable. Which is not "take it in turns to
speak" QSOs or worse, net controllers. On the complete opposite end of
the spectrum (pardon pun), a genuine conversational near-duplex VOX QSO
often has more than one person talking at the same time - but controlled
and managed and for very brief durations. Where the "brief duration" is
as long as it takes you to recognise it is happening.

This morning it took me 5 mins of DSP'ing to add a variable test delay
line in my Rx path. This is on top of what is there already. Anything
more than abt 30-40 msecs total Rx delay feels very uncomfortable - and
leads to definite and uncontrolled doubles. Maybe over time I could get
used to it because this is an operating style thing as much as anything
else. But I don't need to. For actual use purposes, you need to add in
your MIC-to-ANT Tx delay/latency as well.

BTW a barely controlled double is when somebody has to say "Sorry, I
just doubled with you. Say again." An uncontrolled (disaster) double is
when they did not even notice it happened - and you hear plenty of those
on eg 40m SSB nets. Horrible! Are the plethora of cheepo SDRs out there
making it worse? ANS = NO - because an inherent delay is not a function
of how much you paid for it. It applies to them all.

Peter G3XJP