[hpsdr] VHF-millimeter up/down converters?

Glenn Elmore n6gn at sonic.net
Sun Apr 19 07:16:05 PDT 2015

Joe,
That trying to push direct ADC/DAC conversion higher is not the way to
do this is my opinion also. However, I'd rather not do it with they
typical banded approach. That is dedicated per-band filtering
accompanied by a clean LO and mixers to simply move the Angelia (or
whatever) spectrum to and from an amateur band.

Rather, I'd like to add an additional conversion with a similar LO to
above the highest range of a wide-range clean LO that can be locked in
50 MHz or smaller steps down to some much lower frequency.  Looking at
it in the receive direction, set the variable LO below that higher IF to
downconvert the previously upconverted band or [50 MHz] range range/band
of interest.  Reverse it on TX.

These are exemplary numbers only for receive, not actual choices:

[100 MHz through 3500 MHz] input goes through 5400 MHz multi-section LPF
to  Mixer1.
LO1, steppable 5650 - 2150 MHz  goes to Mixer 1  to gives 25 MHz wide
IF1 = ~5700 MHz.
After BPF, IF1 goes to Mixer2.
LO2 fix tuned at [5425 MHz] goes to Mixer 2.
[275-300 MHz] output of Mixer2 filtered in 25 MHz BPF=IF2 goes to Mixer 3.
IF2 goes into Mixer3.
LO3 = fixed 250 MHz goes into Mixer 3.
Output of Mixer3 is 25-50 MHz goes to Angelia.

Turn it around, use mostly common LOs (probably duplicate LO1 for
transmit to maintain high tx/rx isolation)

This is the general approach used in RF-microwave spectrum analyzers,
also turned around for TX.
I need to draw this but can't do it without more than ASCII.

Glenn n6gn