[hpsdr] VHF-millimeter up/down converters?

Glenn Elmore n6gn at sonic.net
Sun Apr 19 08:51:38 PDT 2015

Helmut,
I think this need not be the case. By using same-architecture LO1/LO2
along with wide PLL bandwidth, phase noise can correlate out far enough
to cancel and not be an issue. You'll notice that with the mix-up
mid-down approach, correlated noise cancels. This is the done in high
performance spectrum analyzers and gives performance as good as the
references can provide, even out to millimeter wavelengths some times.
I only suggested 6 GHz as a target because filtering can be done within
common PCB materials (stripline filters etc) and SMD parts and
connectors can work just fine to there without heroic efforts. Parts are
pretty cheap too.

There will certainly need to be pre/post amplification provided, just as
there is presently in Angelia. That can be done as it conventionally is.
For EME and weak signal this may mean both are antenna mounted even.
The goal is to get clean Angelina performance, say 25 MHz of bandwidth,
translated to/from VHF-6GHz and let the banded details be done
separately - akin to putting LPFs and HPFs on Angelia's in/out for the
QRO arrangements.

I believe it is possible and practical to do all this at reasonable cost
- though I'm unsure of exactly what price/performance target OpenHPSDR
targets.  Has a charter or statement for OpenHPSDR been written that
talks about this?

Glenn n6gn