[hpsdr] VHF-millimeter up/down converters?

Glenn Elmore n6gn at sonic.net
Sun Apr 19 13:17:10 PDT 2015

Whether one does a traditional banded transverter (up/down converter) or
one of the architecture I'm suggesting, everything still depends upon
LO(s) spectral purity. The best one can do is to transfer the best
aspects of the best references at various offsets to the output signal.
Long term stability from Rubidium, GPS, quartz,  mid-offset from quartz
or SAW and wide offset from the fundamentals of the resonator, probably
varactor or perhaps YIG. All of these are candidates but at different
cost points.  The goal would be to come as close as possible to
maintaining Angelia's spectral purity to as high as possible at
microwave/millimeter at a reasonable cost.  I think that this is a
reachable target. The specifications of a modern spectrum analyzer,
which are considerably better than your(Helmut) example, are probably a
good starting place. Even economy ones can do -125 dBc in 1 Hz bandwidth
at 100 Hz offset at 100 MHz, how they roll off beyond that, at other
offsets, depends upon the design. Long term generally is not a problem.
At SSB sorts of offsets, 1 to 10 kHz, it depends on the references
chosen, implementation and architectures.

I have operated meteor scatter, weak signal and EME on bands  in the
range  of 2m through 10 GHz. I know about at least some of the issues.
My goal is to produce (first for myself!) an "all-band" companion for my
Angelia to allow the benefits of SDR through at least our 5.7 GHz band.
Having already done this in the more traditional banded way I would
probably chose to do it in a wider-band continuous way which could also
easily extend SA and VNA SDR applications to mid-microwave.  In a
previous career, I designed references and converters for HP spectrum
analyzers, some of which are still in production.

This is fundamentally an analog rather than a purely digital
architecture. Until we all have inexpensive 16 bit converters to 50 GHz
I think we're stuck with this!  Even so, I think much of Angelia's
performance can be translated to/from these higher bands. Some aspects
will not likely be quite as good but probably in use, these shortcomings
will not be obvious. In any case, I'd expect it to work as well as the
best available conventional banded transverters.

If I do continue on this, I will likely not be interested in spending a
lot of effort on the HPSDR interface. It will likely be satisfactory to
stop at I2C or similar control/monitor of the system. I can do this
myself with Arduino/PIC sort of control. But it would probably be more
useful to OpenHPSDR if someone else wanted to contribute to this by
working on integrating and interfacing to the rest of the system. This
would make, for example, extension of the VNA application to 6 GHz a lot
cleaner and possibly faster.

If anyone else is interested in helping, contact me off list.

Best,
Glenn n6gn