[hpsdr] Status of Hermes Gigabit

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Thu Apr 30 14:55:08 PDT 2015

Have you even been reading this thread?

First, I don't even understand your "swamp" the Lan comment. If you
don't use any features that will cause Hermes to send more data, then
the same amount of data would still be sent on the lan, it would just be
sent in shorter bursts. However, even without using any more data, it
would cut latency down if you had an end to end gigabit connection
between Hermes and your PC. If you have a WIFI connection in between,
the WIFI wouldn't see any difference at all.

Second, let me explain in more detail my previous post, which covered at
least two other reasons why Gigabit ethernet would be useful:

1) The current max per receiver bandwidth is 384 Khz. This can cover the
entire bandwidth of most of the HF Ham bands (160m, 60m, 40m, 30m, 20m,
17m, and 12m), but not all of them, i.e. 80m (500 Khz wide, 15m (450 Khz
wide) , 10m (1700 Khz wide) and 6m (4 Mhz wide). It's nice to be able to
see the entire band in the waterfall. PowerSDR supports stitching
multiple receivers to come closer to this, since it doesn't support
simultaneous waterfalls. CUSDR does not.  There's support in the
firmware source (not currently enabled) to support ~1Mhz bandwidth per
receiver, but since the protocol doesn't allow different sample rates
for each receiver, if you wanted that bandwidth (and the feature was
enabled) for even one receiver, you would require a gigabit connection.
Note that this is only referring to current software. Having the wider
bandwidth per receiver is a base feature that can enable more
interesting features in the future.

2) Phil and others are actively working on a new protocol where the DSP
processing is done off board. In order to do this they need a fat pipe
in order to pass an extra wide band signal (I believe they are planning
for 30Mhz currently) to the external processor. That will require a
gigabit connection.

I am very interested in both of the above possibilities. Perhaps you
don't care about those features, but that is still a far cry from people
just wanting it just to say it uses it.

73,

John
AC0ZG