[hpsdr] Setting freq on PowerSDR.

John Melton john.d.melton at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 27 01:22:07 PDT 2015

Hi Brian,

thanks for keeping me updated and glad it has worked out. What Arduino are
you using? Maybe a Due would improve the latency as it is a lot faster.

This a link to a prototype I have built that has three step encoders that
control tuning, AF gain and RF gain.  The buttons are currently programmed
to step up/down band and filter and turn on/off the noise blanker. Easily
changed for whatever function required.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xbem0vwfiabqkos/AABgP7YvgxCujeB-TjjN2Vn7a?dl

-- John

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 07:29 KF6C <brian at kf6c.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your help John.
>
> I had no idea it is that easy to control PowerSDR from an Arduino.
>
> I now have a knob tuned  SDR with all the feel of a 1960's radio or a
> 1960,s radio with state of the art panadapter /waterfall display.
>
> It consists of a Mercury/Penelope/ Hercules SDR contoled by a 1966
> Eddystone EA12 tube/valve receiver. I have removed the ground lug from the
> EA12 and temporarily replaced it with a BNC line coupled to the VFO. The
> Arduino frequency counts the VFO and outputs the result to CAT.
>
> I would like to reduce the latency a little but it works quit well. It
> makes switching between playing with old radios and the state of the art
> real quick.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Brian KF6C.
>

> On 08/25/2015 10:39 AM, John Melton wrote:

> I just realised that I only sent this reply directly to Brian and not to
> the list.
>
> This will send the CAT command to set VFO A frequency. Change the ZZFA to
> ZZFB to change the VFO B frequency.
>
> -- John g0orx/n6lyt
>

> -------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Setting freq on
> PowerSDR. Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:21:03 +0100 From: John Melton
> <john.d.melton at googlemail.com> <john.d.melton at googlemail.com> To: KF6C
> <brian at kf6c.com> <brian at kf6c.com>
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> The simplest way is to send a CAT command over the USB-Serial interface:
>

> long frequency;
>
> void setup() {
>   Serial.begin(9600);
>
>   // test
>   frequency=14135000;
>   sendFrequency(frequency);
> }
>
> void loop() {
>   // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
> }
>
> void sendFrequency(long f) {
>   char cf[17];
>   sprintf(cf, "ZZFA%011ld;", f);
>   Serial.print(cf);
> }
>

> The output from an Arduino Uno using the Serial Monitor was:
>
> ZZFA00014135000;
>

> Regards,
>
> John g0orx/n6lyt
>
> On 25/08/15 15:57, KF6C wrote:
>
> > ***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****
> >
> > With the wanted frequency in an Arduino is there a  simple way to load
> > this into PowerSDR?
> >
> > 73 Brian KF6C

-- John