[hpsdr] Help with PowerSDR PS mRx

Joe Martin k5so at k5so.com
Fri Aug 28 08:23:19 PDT 2015

Hi Luke,

I will take a look at your complaints to see if I can replicate any of them and if I can perhaps resolve some of them for you.  However, let me make a few comments that may help you understand the context within which your complaints are being received, by me anyway as a volunteer developer.

I can’t speak for any other developer, of course, so don’t transfer my comments/opinions to anyone else but I can respond to your postings personally to perhaps give you a feeling of how your “request” comes across to me.

As background, you must appreciate that the developers generally tend to be associated with the HPSDR project primarily in order to be actively involved in developing “high performance" software defined radios.  That being understood you should also recognize that the system you have configured is what I (and others, I’m sure) personally consider to be a legacy system; that is, an early, lower performance HPSDR system of the project and, thus, a less challenging/exciting platform to work on.

I imagine that you probably don’t agree that your system should be considered as such but compared to the performance of the current state of art of newer platforms in this project the simple fact is that an Atlas-bus, USB-based system is a low performance system by comparison.  This state of affairs doesn’t mean that support for legacy systems within the HPSDR project has disappeared, it certainly hasn’t!  Nevertheless, realistically you should appreciate that most people actively working on the truly high performance platforms aren’t especially excited by a prospect of breaking off their activities to examine issues that arise on the older, lower performance platforms; that’s natural I think.

Further, volunteer developers might be somewhat more responsive to you if you were to take a perhaps less demanding tone in your complaint postings as by doing so people might be a bit more inclined to try to assist you.  No one is obliged to you, or to anyone for that matter, to do anything beyond what has alreadty been done for you.  That’s simply a fact.  But on the other hand, we are all in this together and we do try to assist each other whenever possible.  It is human nature to tend to respond more kindly and promptly to friendly requests ahead of perceived demands or implications of responsibilities that don’t factually exist.

It is of course possible that your intention was not to be demanding and if so my interpretation is in error.  My statements are still fundamentally true for me personally though.  Others may feel differently, I can accept that and no further comment on the subject is necessary I think.

In any case, I’ll resurrect my USB Ozy system and let you know what I find with respect to your report.

73, Joe K5SO