[hpsdr] Balanced audio on future boards

Matthew J Wolf mwolf at speciosus.net
Mon Dec 7 09:10:41 PST 2015

I do not want to have to rely on software running on a PC with a monitor
to listen to the audio.  I do not like that you need a GUI based program
to "listen" to a Hermes-Lite.

It's there any software that does not have a GUI that can control and
decode the audio of the HPSDR hardware?  There are some use cases that
do not need a GUI.

The best thing to do would be to provide digial audio I/O.

The minimum could be headers for the I2S lines.  The user then could use
what ever audio transmitter and receiver they want. May be just replace
the codec with a SPDIF / AES3 transceiver?

-Matt, N4MTT

On 12/01/2015 05:30 PM, hpsdr-request at lists.openhpsdr.org wrote:
 > ate: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 13:10:48 -0800
 > From: Jim Barber<barberaudio at gmail.com>
 > To: "H.A.Meijer"<meijer.ha at home.nl>
 > Cc:hpsdr at openhpsdr.org
 > Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Balanced audio on future boards
 >
 > There's nothing wrong with that, but it leaves out remote use and other
 > platforms like Linux, Android, MacOS and IOS.
 >
 > Also, the last time I used it ASIO was proprietary to Steinberg and not
 > appropriate for distribution with open-source
 > software. I don't know if it's still that way but since Audacity still
 > doesn't support ASIO I suspect so.
 >
 > 73,
 > Jim N7CXI
 >
 > On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 1:02 PM, H.A.Meijer<meijer.ha at home.nl>  wrote:
 >
 >> >***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****
 >> >

 >> >Hi Jim,
 >> >
 >> >Yes, possibility's are endless.
 >> >But as already mentioned before, it can be done now,  just by using the
 >> >VAC.
 >> >
 >> >Let VAC 'talk' to a VST-host<http://www.audiomulch.com/>  and then you
 >> >can use all the now available (free) VST audio plug-ins
 >> ><https://talkinmusic.com/musicproduction/top-100-free-vst-plugins/>.
 >> >What about powersdr having a simple VST-host build-in?.
 >> >
 >> >73'Bert
 >> >
 >> >***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****
 >> >

 >> >Ended up sending this only to Bert by mistake:
 >> >
 >> >Hi Bert,
 >> >
 >> >I'd like to suggest that instead of PowerSDR connecting to the
sound card
 >> >directly that a network streaming audio interface be added
 >> >(if it doesn't already exist) that would allow developers to build
apps on
 >> >any platform to send/receive basic audio and PTT data using
 >> >an open-source audio compression codec.
 >> >
 >> >The "remote" app could run on the*same Windows computer as
PowerSDR*  using