[hpsdr] Audio distortions during zoom/pan panadapter

Roger Rehr W3SZ w3sz73 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 10:30:01 PST 2015

I had the same thought as George, namely that the issue is one of the
granularity of the windows default timer.

I had a similar issue years ago [2007] when playing around with the
Delphi IDE, and wrote a bit about it then.
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/windowstimingissues.htm

I believe that you can prove the diagnosis as follows:

There is a program named skedgran01.exe that runs on Windows versions up
to and including Windows 10 that shows you the timer granularity for
your system under default and high resolution timing.  This is the first
link on my webpage.

You can run skedgran01.exe [testing the "DefaultTiming"] both when you
are running DPC Checker and when you are not, and see if in fact the
timer granularity is affected, as George suggested, by the DPC Checker.
It is my assumption that it will be affected.

I just checked to make sure all of this works on Windows 10, and it does
EXCEPT that DPC Checker won't run on Windows 10 here, even with
compatibility modes, and so I need to leave the last check to you as
outlined above.

The images below will give you an idea of what to look for [substitute
"With DPC Checker" for "With YahooFinance"]:

See the skedgran01.exe result here for Default timing
With: http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/DefaultTimingWithYahooFinance.png
and
Without: http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/DefaultTimingBaseline.png
the Yahoo Finance page opened.

Compare this with high resolution timing result
With: http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/HighResolutionTimingWithYahooFinance.png
and
Without: http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/HighResolutionTimingBaseline.png
the Yahoo Finance page opened.

Also note that running Default Timing with the Yahoo Finance page opened
is NOT equivalent to running with High Resolution Timing.

Please post your results back to the list!

Oh, the Code Project c++ program source given in the Code Project
article linked to from my web page does compile on Win10 using Visual
Studio 2013, and it runs perfectly.  But I think using the
skedgran01.exe program as outlined above is a superior approach to
figure out what is going on here.

Hope the above helps, and

73,

Roger Rehr