[hpsdr] Computer required for HPSDR - a little bit off topic

Joe Martin k5so at k5so.com
Fri Jan 9 08:01:29 PST 2015

This past week I decided to investigate XBMC/Kodi HD video streaming (non-radio app) and ran across this compact Intel i7 computer package that seems like it should be able to run an HPSDR radio just fine:

http://kodinow.com/product/raghtpc/

You can specify OS (OpenELEC, Win 7, Win 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), RAM (4GB, 8GB, 16GB), and size of SS drive (8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB), which I did (Win 7, 8GB RAM, 125 GB SSD) for around $600.  Seems to me that it might work well for those wanting a small footprint, high-performance, pre-packaged computer system that could work for HPSDR stuff too.

Even though the system comes specifically configured for HD video streaming it appears to me to be fundamentally nothing more than a high performance i7 machine; you can chose an i5 CPU machine from them if you’d prefer that CPU instead. Seems to me you could configure it to run the HPSDR hardware just fine, which is why I ordered one last Wednesday.  It takes them 7-10 days to configure your unit and test it before shipping it out.  My thinking is that if it doesn’t work well for my video app then I will try to use it as a standalone computer for the HPSDR rigs.

Just a thought; maybe you’d like to check it out as a possible option for your requirements.

73, Joe K5SO