[hpsdr] VAC, RX2, and application integration

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Jul 21 12:12:50 PDT 2015

In getting ready for the CQ VHF contest last weekend (which was a total
propagation bust up here in far northern Michigan), I've been trying to
integrate PowerSDR and Hermes with several logging and other
applications.  The good news is that with DDUtil I've been able to get
all the serial port related stuff working without too much trouble.

However, using VAC for, e.g., sending voice CQs via Writelog, has been a
real challenge.  I ultimately was able to get minimal voice file
playback working, but nothing like the full audio integration Writelog
is capable of.

Now, I'm messing with CW Skimmer on the theory that it will be helpful
to monitor the 6M beacon subband.  What I want to do is send raw I/Q to
CW Skimmer via VAC.  I have gotten things sort of working, but have some
questions for which I've not found clear answers in the documentation.
Any help will be hopefully repaid when I document all this integration
stuff for posterity.

I *think* my goal, for maximum Skimmer usability, is to use RX2, tuned
to the 6M beacon segment, to output I/Q samples to the Skimmer via one
of the VAC cables.

1.  What signals can VAC2 handle?

	a.  Is it limited only to RX2?
	b.  Will it send RX2 I/Q data?  (I assume so because of the "Direct
I/Q" tick box, but haven't successfully done it yet.)

2.  When selecting "Direct I/Q Output to VAC" under either VAC1 or VAC2:

	a.  Does the selected VAC sample rate matter (vs. the radio sample rate)?
	b.  Does the "Stereo" box need to be ticked (or unticked) for I/Q samples?
	c.  Does the VAC RX gain setting have any effect on the I/Q magnitude?
	d.  Are there any other settings that are important to sending I/Q samples?

3.  If I only want to use one Line of a VAC pair, can I disable the
other line?  (I think I am finding some situations where a feedback loop
is created between the two lines.)

4.  Is RX2 limited to 48 kHz bandwidth?  That's what I seem to see,
though I have the HPSDR sample rate set to 96 ksamples.

5.  Is there any reason I would want to select the "Microsoft Sound
Mapper" input or output when setting up the VAC cables?  What would be
the result of doing so?

6.  Finally, has anyone gotten PowerSDR/Hermes fully integrated with CW
Skimmer in this way?

(I know there is an ethernet interface from Hermes directly to CW
Skimmer, but I believe that setup "hogs" the radio so you can't run the
skimmer and PowerSDR at the same time.  It's great to feed the Reverse
Beacon Network, but I want the skimmer to be a second set of eyes while
the radio operates normally.)

Thanks!

John