[hpsdr] WG: AW: any report from F'Hafen?

dj4dm.wengert at t-online.de dj4dm.wengert at t-online.de
Tue Jun 30 12:02:00 PDT 2015

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: AW: [hpsdr] any report from F'Hafen?
Datum: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 19:51:19 +0200
Von: "dj4dm.wengert at t-online.de" <dj4dm.wengert at t-online.de>
An: "Kjell Karlsen" <la2ni at online.no>

Well, what  I have  seen and  heard at  Friedrichshafe can  be  summarized as follows:

FLEX-Radio  is concentrating  on  her client-server architecture. This  means that the  ham-station  of  the  future  is  using  a  server in  a remote and  noise free environment,  if  possible, while  the  client is  represented by  MAESTRO  or  a  regular  PC,  be  it  in the  garden  by  the  swimming pool or  as  a dedicated entry-point  in  a  larger  set up of  for  example  a mult-server dx expedition  set up . At  the  same  time  they  are striving  to  interconnect  various  server-stations ,  antenna  switches etc. by  WLAN or  LAN action. To  that  end  they  are concentrating high volume data handling  and  DSP into  the  actual  servers (series  FLEX 6k) requiring  only  "thin" communication traffic  to  the  actual  consoles.
One  can  of  course  connect  MAESTRO directly  via  LAN-Interface  to a server and  thus  has  a  seemingly traditional station set up.
This  idea seems  interesting  but   from  my  point  of  view it  does  depart from the  idea of  a  traditional  ham station, where  the  actual  environment at  the  station  side  is  a key element  of  operating  a ham-station. In  the end  we can  hook  up with ham-radio-servers around  the  world that are positioned at an  öptimum point  for  a  given  traffic.
I do  suspect  that our  children  and  grandchildren  are amused, since  it is  nothing  beyond their  present  smart phone etc.

At  SSB-Electronic  I saw a new  design  around  the  ZEUS ZS-1 SDR-rig . The ZS-1 is  integrated into  a  station dasigned  to produce  up  to  400W pep output power  including  all of  the  control channels  and  even  an  ATU was mentioned . The ZS-1 and  its  software seem  to  be unchanged . This  offer  looks  very  promising as  far  as  the  price  is  concerned. A PC will  still  be  needed.

Expert Radio  from  RU  showed  their  integrated system that more  or  less  combines  a  SunSDR 2 and  a  PC including  a screen  and control functions. We  were told that  the  system  will  be  manufactured  at Taiwan but  supported from  the  designers in  RU. The  Station  looks  nice  but  seems  to  be  more  on  the  expensive  side.

HPSDR Held  a  session where  all  the  issues  that  are in work  got  covered. Unfortunately  Hermann ,  the  author  of  cuSDR, could  not  participate due  to  Family  problems, so  we  got  no  update  on  his  work  in  progress. Unfortunately  I missed  the  Topics  on  1GBit/s Ethernet and  the  "renovation" of  the  present  OPENHPSDR-software, But  things  seem  to  be  progrssing  well .
Another  topic was a  on  the subject  of  diversity reception  and  noise  cancelling. This  resulted in  a very  vivid  discussion. It seems  to me that the  HPSDR group is  really  concentrating  on hamradio.

At ELAD I saw the Little  ELAD FDM DUO that  seems  to  be  doing  an  interesting  job  as  a  stand alone system,  however no mayor  change  in the  software when  used  with a PC could  be  detected . It  was  my  Impression that ELAD is  still  concentrating  on  the  "receive only  ham" with  the   sofftware  supplied . A year ago  I ordered  a sytem  and  got  it  delivered  by  end  of  September  2014. As a  stand  alone  it  was  ok but  as  a computer  supported DSP SDR I was unable  to get it  work properly  , so  by  November that year I sold  the  system without  any  regrets.

Other Systems  included  the  well known ICOM /YAESU/ HILBERLING battleships . All  very  nicely  engineered and  an engineers  dream  to  posess but  beyond  the  financial  reach of  most  of  us, and  they  do  come  with normal ionosheric  conditions , so  why  spent  a fortune for  them.

In closing  I would  like  to  mention  the  ELECRAFT line  of  radios, primarily  the new K3S. It  seems  to  me that this  Radio is  really Holding  up the  ham spirit These days.

Best 73s and good  dx

dj4dm_ Dieter (Konstanz just  across  the  lake  from  Friedrichshafen!)
-----Original-Nachricht-----