[hpsdr] [HPSDR] Hermes now rxing

John Laur johnlaur at gmail.com
Wed May 6 07:50:07 PDT 2015

Glen,

If you set the attenuator to 20dB the scale of the display/meters will
change +20dB to compensate so that it still reports an accurate power
measurement at the Rx input. Likewise when you enable the 6m LNA on
ALEX/ANAN, a corresponding value is subtracted from the display. A
-80dBm signal applied to the Rx input will show as -80dBm regardless
of the attenuator setting. As noted earlier, this is exactly how most
modern test and measurement equipment work. Most gear also allows you
to specify a manual offset in the event that you are using an outboard
attenuator or preamp so that you dont have to think about the offset.

The MDS of Hermes is about -145dBm or somewhere around there; if your
band noise is measuring at -120dBm with no attenuation and you
increase the attenuator to 30dB you will push the band noise below the
sensitivity/noise floor of the LT2208 itself and the measured noise
floor will start going up. At that point, -120dBm noise into the
receiver will be -150dBm at the ADC. If the ADC can only measure
-145dBm, PowerSDR will show the noise level as -115dBm.

The purpose of the attenuator is to give you a tool to keep strong
signals from overloading the ADC, that is all. It's good practice to
keep the attenuator set to as high a value as you can while still
giving you enough dynamic range to pick out your desired signals over
band /thermal noise.

Just like with your Hermes Lite vs K3 experiment, the data is all
subjective until you have both calibrated your equipment with a known
signal source and are aware of how each devices metering and DSP
behaves. Elecraft has an inexpensive signal source that may be useful
for what you are doing: http://www.elecraft.com/XG3/xg3.htm This will
be an effective tool to tell you if something is wrong. You say your
20m noise is -117dBm (about S1) which in my location I would find
unusually low. Is that normal for your location? If not there may be
something wrong in the analog Rx path; perhaps a transformer on the
wrong-way round or inadequate current to the ADC driver. There's
fortunately not a whole lot there to debug but it will take the proper
equipment to do it.

73, John K5IT