[hpsdr] Ozy-Metis (RPi2) gateway

Bob Wisdom bob.wisdom at gmail.com
Mon May 25 13:22:11 PDT 2015

Hi Kurt,

Maybe a difference in your HPSDR rig configuration of boards to mine might
be upsetting things. I'm running with Pennylane, Pennywhistle, Alex, Atlas,
Mercury and Ozy.

For example, if you don't have a Penny, then it is safe to just bypass
(comment out) the I2C code which tries to access it. There is some detailed
I2C access in ozio.c, and the calls to ozy_i2c_readvars etc are in ozy.c.

The specific error you are getting seems to be a problem with the very
first I2C read access which is actually trying to read the Mercury firmware
version. So it may be that your I2C bus is not getting through, or maybe
there is an old firmware on the Mercury?. I'm not very familiar with the
board hardware.

PowerSDR conneted to USB seems to be quite reliable at correctly reading
the version numbers and must be using the I2C to do so, so does that work
okay?

The gateway output should look similar to this when all is well:-

sudo bash
# ./ozymetis

143802 bytes transferred.
Ozy FX2 version: 20090524
ozy_i2c_init: starting
mercury firmware=34
penny firmware=18
write Penny
write Penny done..
Starting main listener thread
Metis eth0 IP Address: 10.10.201.94
Metis eth0 MAC Address: b8:27:eb:1a:1c:d5
ep6 bytes =0, badcount=0
Metis Listening for UDP datagrams on port 1024
ep4 bytes =0

GL
Bob VK4YA