[hpsdr] Hermes BBmesh??

John Laur johnlaur at gmail.com
Sat May 30 13:58:32 PDT 2015

It does not perform that well over wireless networks. A mesh network
would be likely even worse. If you want to try it, run the sample rate
as low as you can (48000, limit to 1 receiver). This will give you the
maximum amount of network receive buffer time in Hermes. You will have
to keep the round trip time solidly < 5ms. You will probably also need
to use 802.11n or 802.11ac equipment. You may also need to use a
static IP; discovery broadcast packets are not going to route properly
on the mesh.

Other than those requirements (which are quite steep) I might expect
that it would technically work, and there is nothing in the protocol
that would preclude its use. While I was previously worried that the
FPGA firmware does not support routing, it turns out that it's 'speak
only when spoken to' nature should actually do the right thing.

73, John K5IT