[hpsdr] Whitch CPU will be better for HPSDR?

glennt glennt at gbis.com
Sat Oct 31 12:41:10 PDT 2015

 An excellent question! I don't know the answer. I do know that the
 answer will be determined by some combination of actual core MIPS and
 how well the software chosen is able to utilize multiple cores.

 Clock speed only tells part of the story - rather like choosing an
 antenna based solely on it's SWR. How many cycles are required to
 execute an instruction figures into it as well. I don't know these
 numbers for the Intel chip family. Historically other CPU manufacturers
 (both IBM and DEC in days of old) were loath to provide these numbers.
 The desiderata is one instruction per core CPU cycle.

 Also, some software will make better use of multiple cores than others.
 Some processes parallelize easily (like matrix inversion) and others do
 not (like scalar iteration - solving Kepler's equation for example).

 That being said, making the not unreasonable assumption that the Intel
 i7 core instruction takes the same number of cycles no matter which i7
 variant you use, then (using your numbers) the i7-6700K will execute 16
 giga instruction cycles per second (GISS?) and the i7-5820K will execute
 19.8 GISS.

 HOWEVER... if the software can effectively utilize only 4 (or fewer)
 cores, you get a different answer.

 Simplifying your question a bit, you are asking how well HPSDR software
 is able to utilize multiple cores? Since there are a whole bunch of
 different software packages to use, as well as different OSs to use
 (win7? win8? win8.1? win10?, Fedora? Debian?) you will likely need to
 constrain your question a bit to specify which software you want to run.

 ...and of course, if the software uses graphics engine computational
 resources, all these numbers change again.

 Good luck.

 73 de Glenn wb6w