[hpsdr] How to start

Jeff Brown n9iz at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 29 06:43:18 PDT 2016

So, how would a ham that's new to the HPSDR project start building a usable rig?  I mentioned in my previous post that I currently own a Flex-5000A as the primary radio.  For starting new my initial requirements would be pretty basic, but I'd like to have the ability to grow.  This is important to me as I'm pretty much stuck with the Flex at this point.  I definitely want something that will perform better than the Flex or it's not much worth spending my time and money on a project.  The Apache Labs ANAN radio seem quite nice and are basically turnkey, but are still fairly spendy.  Is there an option for someone like me who likes to build/construct projects that still has the performance level I'm wanting?  I have looked at the HPSDR webpage and also TAPR's site, but I can't really tell what info is dated and what's still relevant.  I've heard terms such as Gen II spoken of, but I don't know which parts are which.  It seems for each given component (transmitter, receiver, computer interface, etc) there are multiple choices.  I'm looking for a beginner's guide to building a current revision level HPSDR transceiver.  Can someone please offer me some suggestions or point me to a link or file that might contain this info.  Will be heading for Dayton next month and maybe I can find some for info or items there to start building.  I'm thinking erector set for big kids...but I wish to have features and performance greater than the old Flex.  Looking forward to some suggestions.  Thanks.
Jeffn9iz