[hpsdr] Ozy/Magister will likely stop working on Win10 in about 60 days

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sat Aug 20 07:51:11 PDT 2016

Dear all,

So Microsoft has a policy for double-signed drivers on Windows 10 that didn't exist
before, and it will take place between 60 and 90 days after the release of Windows 10
Anniversary (build 1607).

The purpose of this is to ensure that the drivers are fully signed and fully trusted, at a
level that is greater than before, in order to be able to load on any computer with Secure
Boot active in the BIOS.

I won't enter into a debate as to whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.  I will
only point out that the Ozy/Magister USB drivers for PowerSDR, KISS Konsole, etc., are NOT
double-signed, and I don't really see a need to do that, and take the time, and spend the
money to do so.

While the current Ozy/Magister USB driver is single-signed, it is signed with a
certificate that is too old to be able to put the package thru Microsoft to get their
counter-signature.  If you want more information, I suggest that you visit
http://www.osr.com/developers-blog and check the article 'Driver Signing - more details
emerge".

To do all of this requires a 'code signing certificate' from one of the vendors of such
certificates, apparently with 'EV' (extended validation?)  Such seem to cost $200-$400 per
year.  Since everything new uses Metis technology (Ethernet), I don't think that it is
worth the cost or the hassle to keep supporting Ozy/Magister on Windows 10.  If someone
who wants it to keep working donates the money, there might be a chance to reconsider.

73,
George K9TRV