[hpsdr] Capabilities on 630m (Mercury & Penelope)?

n3evl n3evl at townisp.com
Mon Dec 5 12:50:34 PST 2016

I was surprised recently to notice that PowerSDR mRX has the 630m band
marked as an Amateur band (red band edge markers, etc.).  I ran a quick
TX test into a dummy load and did see my watt meter needle move ever so
slightly.  Of course this was with Penelope driving my Munin 100W amp so
can't be attributed to Penelope alone :)  However, I guess this
indicates that some small amount of RF is being generated at that frequency.

What are the performance expectations of the Atlas based hardware (or
other HPSDR-derived hardware) in terms of TX and RX for this band?  Are
there any practical mods that can be made (to Penelope and/or Mercury in
my specific case) to optimize support for this band?

Thanks,

Pete, N3EVL