[hpsdr] Penelope no modulation

Helmut dc6ny at gmx.de
Thu Jan 14 05:58:45 PST 2016

Hi guys,

like all HPSDR TX circuitry  Penelope employs the TLV 320 audio codec for the microphone path. Please note that this chip is designed in particular for electret-microphones, provides an on-chip bias and shows a high impedance microphone of typically 14 Kohm.  If you use a low impedance dynamic microphone, you can be forced to compensate this mismatch with this 20 dB-boost amp. In this case be carefully to drive the on-chip ADC not into clipping.
Check the correct jumper selection documented in the Penelope manual (ring, tip, bias etc.). Check your mic plug too, as I know that some ‘Heils’ are not wired acc. to the standard. BTW the tone-test of PowerSDR is meaningless for the mic path.

73, Helmut, DC6NY