[hpsdr] The UDP ports in the new Ethernet protocol violate the ethos of the Internet.

Michael Cozzi cozzicon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:16:34 PST 2016

     Simon,

     ok, so I know you are apparently one of the important folks in the
community, so I'm pretty shy about being critical.

     But if there isn't a VPN involved, the data should never leave the
local network. In fact, I would hope the TCP/IP stack on these radios is
limited to communication with specific IP rangers or subnets.

     Let's not even get started on IP6.

     So I don't think the port is the issue. If port 1024 was used, it
should never be out on the Internet. And if a VPN is involved it should
not be hosted on the radio (what a nightmare that would be!).

     So the port is irrelevant. Data sent over the WAN, assuming proper
VPN, would never be detectable to anyone (including the ISP).

     Unless you are suggesting that the data be sent without a VPN, in
which case I need to find another hobby :)

     Please tell me that is not what you are doing?

     Michael KD8TUT