[hpsdr] 16-bit DUC/DDC transceiver ODYSSEY

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Thu Jan 28 15:17:37 PST 2016

If you are only receiving, it possibly doesn't matter, as long as you receive all packets.
If you are trying to receive in 'close-to-real-time' AND transmit, such stack latencies do
matter!  The issue is that all operating systems include efficient drivers for Ethernet.
Not so much for USB or USB3.  We use LibUSB0 for our driver, we tried WinUSB, which had
much worse stack latency, and abandoned it, while looking for signed 64 bit USB drivers
that we could use.

USB is likely OK for HackRF for example.  But it isn't trying to be an HF radio, really
(apologies if necessary to Michael Ossman.)

George