[hpsdr] Hardware pre distortion?

Helmut dc6ny at gmx.de
Tue Jun 28 10:04:06 PDT 2016

Hi Chris,

Obviously you are not completely satisfied with Red Pitaya, the modified
PowerSDR and PS. That’s no big surprise, but it’s a much better approach for
linearization than that (strange) ‘hardware solution’.
The efficiency of predistortion depends on the measurement precision of the
actual TX signal and the reference TX signal or in other words the
measurement dynamic range. Otherwise you can‘t precisely take correction.
‘Dynamic losses’ due to the necessary up/down conversion reduce the
efficiency of predistortion dramatically. High losses in the Red Pitaya
DDC/DUC paths limit the great performance of Warren’s PS algorithm. As the
losses are 4 times more than in Hermes, I guess the improvement of IMDR
results only on a limited correction in the upper part of the amp transfer
characteristic. This also explains your observation of critical feedback
levels.  An improvement/correction at low levels seems very difficult, so
you should at least operate your amp with a high quiescent current.

73, Helmut, DC6NY