[hpsdr] CPU utilization percentages, and how they can mislead

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Mon Mar 28 13:17:14 PDT 2016

I would like to point out that if you have a 'quad-core' CPU (like an Intel I7), which has
8 virtual cores, if you max out one core, that is 12.5% CPU utilization!  Throw in a
little more for the other cores doing things, like running Task Manager, and you'll be
around 16% or so.  You think: 'I am fine!  I have 84% free cycles.  What could be wrong
with that?'.  Well, you could be in worse shape than you think!

You think that you have 'plenty of CPU to spare', but one core might be totally saturated,
with no spare cycles, and whatever is using that core is CPU-bound, because it is a simple
application with simple CPU core assumptions or utilization.

73,
George K9TRV