[hpsdr] PTT on Remote

Roger Rehr w3sz73 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 21:49:04 PST 2016

Hi Bent,

I use a USB-Serial adapter with one side of a footswitch connected to
Pin 1 [carrier detect] through a 10K resistor and the return from the
footswitch to Pin 7 [RTS], with RTS always high.

There is some more detail on page 22 of this pdf file:
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/W3SZ_OpenHPSDR_for_VHF_UHF_Microwave3pt0.pdf

But to do that you have to have software written to take advantage of
such a switch.

Lacking such software, an Arduino with an Ethernet shield [or any other
SBC with similar IO capability] at the remote site would be a nice and
simple way to do it.

At the client end you could have either a software switch/button on the
computer screen or a hardware switch hooked up as I described first in
this email [or both, as I do here] causing a simple program at the
client end to send the signal to the remote SBC to activate the PTT.
I've used UDP over a multi-mile wireless link between my home and my
remote station and have had no problems with dropped packets / lost
commands / etc.

I am not at all current regarding the details of the new openHPSDR
protocol / firmware / software that has been in the works but I would
be surprised if the remote capability you seek is not included
somewhere in those offerings.  But with Arduino Uno R3 equivalents
available from China for less than 4 USD with free shipping, there is
no need to wait and nothing lost if you implement your solution and
then the new openHPSDR offerings render it unnecessary shortly
thereafter.

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ