[hpsdr] Nvidia Android Shield TV experience

Takafumi INOUE ji3gab at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 15:02:56 PDT 2016

I heard that the SATV has the same GPU as the jetson TX1(big brother to the TK1) and it has a price tag of $199.I bought a Nvidia Shield Android TV (SATV) about two weeks ago.  I thought it would be a possible candidate for DFC computing engine.

With some searching I found info that describes how to install "Linux for Tegra" (L4T) on the SATV.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/general/build-kernel-source-boot-to-ubuntu-t3274632

Following the instruction there it was not very difficult to install L4T on my SATV with some knowledge about adb, fastboot, etc. After booting L4T I installed cuda-7.0 and then I compiled John's DFC code. No problem, that's a good news.

But when I run the DFC code it was revealed that the SATV received data from radio hardware only at around 400Mbits/sec speed. That is insufficient. The SATV has a "gigabit" ethernet interface and in some cases it exhibits nearly 1Gbps performance but not with DFC raw packets when I tried.

The SATV uses Realtek 8152 (internally connected to USB?). It might be a device driver issue but I don't have much knowledge about it.

Takafumi/JI3GAB
Yokohama JAPAN