[hpsdr] Level calculation error in Two Tone Test generation routine

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Thu Nov 24 09:09:39 PST 2016

Hi Kjell,

I believe you are referring to the transmitter power meter and yes, I
agree.  I am not familiar with that code.  I expect that there is some
firmware that "samples" the voltages and then some instantaneous value
is calculated in software and sent to the meter ... not sure.  There may
be some constraints on what can reasonably be done ... again, don't know.

The S-meter code is part of the DSP software and I did write that.  I
believe that the peak and average readings work well over the frequency
range of interest.  As a test, tune in an AM broadcast station which is
modulated at approximately 100%, or use a signal generator set up this
way.  Note that the Peak reading is 6dB higher than the average reading,
as it should be.

Relating this to a previous post, the peak/average power is 4X while the
peak/average voltage is 2X.

73,

Warren  NR0V