[hpsdr] Windows 10 Attestation Signed drivers are available for testing

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Thu Nov 24 09:43:11 PST 2016

Dear All,
Thanks first to the many who donated so that TAPR could purchase an EV Code
Signing certificate!

I have produced Attestation-Signed LibUSB0 drivers for use on Windows-10
only, x86 or x64, and put them into the SVN repository.  Dave Larsen KV0S
has been kind enough to modify the downloads page on openhpsdr.org to
provide a link to the signed driver zip archive, as well as to all the
source, and the documentation of the process.  I signed the drivers with the
EV Code Signing certificate, submitted them to Microsoft, who counter-signed
(Attestation-signed) them and returned a zip archive with all that is
required to use them within the zip archive.

See http://openhpsdr.org/download.php to download these drivers.  Do NOT
download and install if you are NOT using Windows 10.

The installation is no different (that I know of...) from the previous
driver package, which is STILL available for older versions of windows.

Who needs the new drivers?  People who are using PowerSDR or KISS Konsole on
Windows, who are:
1) using Windows 10 Anniversary edition
2) have a new installation of Windows 10 Anniversary Edition (not an
upgrade.  You qualify if you've had to do a fresh installation after an
upgrade...)
3) are using the Secure Boot option

This set of circumstances will require you (now that we are 90+ days after
the August 2 release of Windows 10 Anniversary ( version 1607) to use this
newly-produced driver for USB, if you use USB (Ozy/Magister) to connect to
your Atlas bus box.  There may be other times when this driver is required,
but we don't know those for certain (there are rumors that PowerSDR requires
the USB drivers, even if you don't use them).

Caveats: do NOT use Windows Server 2016 to do amateur radio work!  The
process for getting drivers signed for Windows Server 2016 is extremely
onerous, and WILL NOT be undertaken.  Further, Windows Server 2016 is most
often run in a headless mode in server racks, and is unlikely to be what
should be chosen by hams to do SDR work with.

So what now that we have the EV Code Signing certificate?  I can sign other
code (like PowerSDR.exe, for example) for use by hams.  However, because an
EV Code Signing certificate is on a USB dongle that I will not (and cannot)
send to anyone, I cannot delegate this signing authority.

73,
George Byrkit, K9TRV