[hpsdr] Receiver Evolution Complete?

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sun Oct 23 09:53:41 PDT 2016

>"I would further submit that the available openHPSDR hardware, firmware and
software has now reached that state of evolution."

So, perhaps we've reached the end of communication receiver evolution?  With
DDC/DFC what technological hurdle remains in the conversion of RF to audio
and video screen presentation?

Here's the receiver evolution time-line as I see it:

- Spark communication, with detection by coherer and other crude detectors
beginning with Hertz and Lodge in 1888
- Spark communication with detection by Fleming valve (VT diode) in 1904
- Spark/CW/AM detection by triode in 1906
- Spark/CW/AM detection by regeneration and super-regeneration, starting in
1913
- Spark/CW/AM detection by superhet principle in 1917
- Added modes by superhet, improved IF selectivity, and direct conversion
detection between 1917 and 1985
- Superhet with audio DSP in late 1980s
- Superhet with translation to IF DSP in 1990
- Superhet with QSD detection in late 1990s
- DDC/DUC in 2005
- DFC as alternate DDC means ca. 2015?

Probably I'm off on some dates and milestones in between.  Note that there's
not much in the core advancement of the superhet concept between WWI and the
1980s.

What's left to accomplish, apart from continuous dynamic range and UI
improvement, now that we're digitizing voltage immediately after the antenna
and transmission line?

Paul, W9AC