[hpsdr] Hermes/Angelia and Ethernet problems

Mike Tubby mike at tubby.org
Sat Sep 17 12:36:03 PDT 2016

I have an Angelia board that I purchased from Anan about 18 months ago
which I use as an SDR in my home 2m DX station on a 28MHz transverter IF
and also use in the field with our contest group.

Currently I use the Angelia primarily on RX with CuSDR as I like the UI
design and display.

The problem that I have with the Angelia is that it appears to be very
'touchy' (unreliable) with its Ethernet connection, obtaining a DHCP
lease and talking to my PC.

In my setup I have:

1. my workstation PC - Dell T3610, 16Gb, 6-core Xeon, etc. with Gigabit
Ethernet
2. my Linux server which is my default gateway and DHCP server
3. my Angelia board
4. Ethernet switch
      5. Various other devices (computers, VoIP phones, etc)

If I connect everything in the shack via an old Netgear FS116 unmanaged
10/100Mbps switch then everything works fine - the Angelia performs
Ethernet link negotiation and comes up, sends DHCP request, gets reply,
sets up IP address, etc.after which running up CuSDR on the PC works
when I hit 'Start' it performs auto-detect, finds the Angelia and comes
up...

However this network set-up isn't practical for a range of reasons...  I
have a rack of servers in the garage and that's also where the internet
comes in.  I have have a machine (called "gate") that provides network
services, firewall, NAT, NTP, DHCP etc. in the garage.

I have my main PC, the wife's PC, network printers, VoIP phones, etc. in
the study/shack.  At both ends there's a Netgeat GSM724T 24-port switch
and a Gigabit fibre trunk runs between the switches.

If I plug the Angelia and my shack PC in to two ports of the switch in
the shack and watch the DHCP server on gate with "dhcpdump" then I see
my PC perform DHCP request, get a reply and come up as expected but when
I turn the Angelia on I see nothing?  What gives?Is the Ethernet
implementation in Hermes and Angelia 'fragile' or incomplete?Is there a
problem with link partner attributes? or timing when talking to managed
switches? Does Hermes/Angelia assume that the link comes up very quickly
and transmit DHCP request(s) too soon or without retries?

Is there something that can be done about this?

I really want to be able to use the Angelia from one or other of two
locations in the house on the same local (switched) Ethernet.

I'm happy to spend some time collecting diagnostics/debug if this would
help.

Regards

Mike G8TIC