[hpsdr] New User Questions

Helmut dc6ny at gmx.de
Sat Apr 22 01:29:31 PDT 2017

Hi Benno,

I'm sure, skilled voluntary software developers are always highly welcome in
the OpenHPSDR community. I'm no one, I'm an old hardware fossil, but
enthusiastic SDR fan, hi. As you are obviously living in the area like our
'Spiritus Rector' Phil Harman, VK6PH, I would suggest to try a possible
meeting. Phil is the authentic source of information.

When you look at the repository https://github.com/TAPR/ you will find all
the necessary firmware or operation software for the ANAN boards, labeled
OpenHPSDR. It is correct that Apache Labs holds the copyright on their
layout of PCBs, but circuitry, selected components etc. are derived in the
final analysis from Mercury, Penelope, Metis and other OpenHPSDR boards.
E.g. we have currently one additional supplier of the HERMES board providing
same circuitry, components, size and location of the interfaces, but using
his own layout design.

I further believe that Apache Lab will get bad experience if they would try
to leave the open source idea. Flex Radio seems also not happy with that
strategy.

BTW you can operate all that hardware also other software like CuSDR or Zeus
Radio 2.9. The successor of PowerSDR is already as Beta-Version in
preparation. UI modification seem then easier. But don't forget the
efficiency of the algorithms in the 'background' determine the performance
of the radio.

So welcome again.

73, Helmut, DC6NY