[hpsdr] Munin revisited.

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Fri Aug 4 20:14:02 PDT 2017

Hi Jim,

I am the author of PureSignal.  Please see below for answers and comments.

73,

Warren  NR0V

On 8/4/2017 1:41 PM, Jim Sanford wrote:

> Since Helmut brought it up, I'd like to weigh in again.
>
> I think Pure Signal is a profound contribution to the state of the art
> and stand admiration of its developers.
>
> I would like to see Pure Signal for the Atlas-based systems, since I
> have two.  I have spent some time thinking about the mutual
> interference problems at multi-operator contesting and agree with an
> author on here who posited that commercial manufacturers have improved
> their receivers over the years, but not done much for the
> transmitters.  Pure Signal changes that.
>

> I acknowledge that Pure Signal for Atlas-based systems is not high on
> the developer's priorities.
>
> I acknowledge that Pure Signal for Atlas-based systems may not even be
> possible due to bandwidth limits on the Atlas bus.
I believe it is possible; however, the required implementation is
somewhat different than for the other systems.  We need someone who can
work on Verilog FPGA code to support that implementation. (That's not me
... I write software but not Verilog.)  Also, results may not be quite
as good as for other systems.  However, without trying it, we don't know
exactly where we'd end up.

> Helmut's use of the word, "yet" gives me hope.
>

> Tinkering with the new audio chain gave rise to the following thought:
>
> How dynamic is the Pure Signal correction data, once the correction
> transfer function is determined?  If not very dynamic, would it be
> possible to start with a default transfer function, and then stations
> suitably equipped to measure distortion or linearity could "tweak"
> constants to reduce IMD?  Presumably the correction function would be
> several segments in a piecewise linear approximation.  This would
> probably have to be a set of constatnts per band.
>
> Would this be at all possible?  Or am I totally out to lunch?
It is possible to do this; however, it is perhaps not very practical to
use.  Any change in Drive level or in antenna/tuner load impedance
changes the shape of the curves and requires some re-adjustment.  At one
point I did a "manual adjust" version, using polynomials, for another
person who was interested in this approach.  After experimentation, I
believe that it was abandoned.