[hpsdr] Hermes doesn't come to life

Christian Hauswurz dl3hc at yahoo.de
Tue Dec 12 00:34:45 PST 2017

Hi all,
i've recently build and finished a Hermes Board. Unfortunately i had a solder bridge between some pins on the ADC and shorted one of the 3.3V busses to ground.
I fixed that and measured that all voltages are as they should be. After that i closed J12 and tried to flash the bootloader via the Quartus Software and Active Serial Programming. It took a at least one and a half hour to finish, what is definitely not normal, but after verifiyng the flashed code, Quartus reported a success. The only status LEDs that are lit, are the ones that indicate the normal operation of the supply voltages and also D1. D6 is iluminated permanently, what seems strange to me, since how i've understood things, that LED should come on only when the firmware is installed correctly.

Nevertheless I then tried to discover the board in the LAN via the HPSDRBootloader Software and that failed. Then I downloaded the bootloader and firmware sourcecode, compiled it myself, merged the two codes and allocated them to the correct adress in the EEPROM and flashed it. The process took over two hours again. I dis- and reconnected the supply but the board doesn't start normal operation. I retried flashing via the JTAG interface. This time the flashing process finished within a few seconds. Nevertheless, the board doesn't start. What I should also note is that I have used another EEPROM because the original one is obsolete. But it is pin compatible and since the Programmer reports "success" after flashing i don't think that this is the problem. I came to the conclusion that the FPGA may have been damaged by the short circuit situation i mentioned before.

What do you all think about that? Did i miss something? Maybe there are some experts here who can help me with that....

Best regards
Chris DL3HC