[hpsdr] Fwd: "FPGA Floor Planning"

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 11:43:05 PST 2017

Using Quartus Standard would not preclude any hobbyist from using the code.
The code remains available and open source. If someone wants to modify and
build the code with the free version of Quartus they would still be able to
do so.

In the meantime, the main developers would have the advantage of being able
to build more quickly and easily versions that reliably meet timing and
remain stable from build to build.

This assumes that Phil and Joe would be willing to learn to use the
additional capabilities of Quartus Standard, of course. I believe Joe has
expressed that this is not an interest of his, which is totally fair.
Nevertheless, there is a clear trade-off in the labor required to fuss with
the free version for every build vs. the time required to learn new tools
that will obtain quicker, more reliable, more stable results.

Of course I'm not the guy doing the work, just a guy who is interested in
making development easier for those who do, and that results in code that
more reliably runs on all serial numbers.

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o