[hpsdr] New Hermes board

Laurence Barker laurence at cmlelectronics.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 09:20:01 PDT 2017

Mine isn't working yet - it's still in a box. So I can't answer that. (I know only that pihpsdr can "see" it, so it is executing code)

I have seen youtube videos of where people have been able to improve the dynamic range of the Red pitaya by the odd 20+ dB by removing the input buffer amplifier and replacing it with a 9:1 unun transformer (essentially this gives the voltage gain at the same power by transforming to a higher impedance). That could be a part of the issue - the input circuit isn't ideal "as shipped".

And if that technique does work, it could be something a revised Hermes might consider to replace its preamp. It hinges on the input impedance to the ADC itself. If that's a few kohms and resistive, then the transformer would work.

Laurence Barker G8NJJ

laurence at nicklebyhouse.co.uk